Cookie

In today's tutorial we deal with a particular technique, that will make our curious photos. To macro photography (or more simply “macro“) means the photograph of the small details to which the eye hardly pays attention. There will certainly have seen online, or in some magazines nature of some larger picture microscopic bugs, or the classic photo to’compound eye Fly. Everything is imperceptible at first glance, but with a good goal “macro” are unable to distinguish accurately even the compound eye.

In today's tutorial, however, do not deal with macro photography, but the blur resulting from macro to reality. All fiction, nothing macros for today.

To begin with you need a photo shoot preferably from. Start from the following photo:

The perspective

And the result will be:

The resulting photo looks like a scale model, the effect is given by a simple blur.

After photo open with Gimp level the color with “Colors” – “Levels” (optional step, but recommended). Click button “Auto” for leveling in automatic mode.

Now duplicate level “Background” (yet the only).

Rename the higher level in “blur” and apply a layer mask level “blur” right-clicking on the layer – “Add Layer Mask…“.

In the dialog box that opens, and do not touch anything confirm.

At this point we make invisible the lower level (“Background“) and select tool “Gradient .

We select the black as foreground color, and the white for the background, in the settings of the instrument “Gradientwe change the Form” the “Linear” a “Bilineare“.

Now draw the gradient at the point where we want the image is in focus, reverse sneeze. If it is a panoramic photo (as in this case) pull the gradient upward or downward, otherwise we will move sideways.

Now select the level shade” (click on the level, not on the layer mask) and apply a blur Gaussian 5px: “Filters” – “Blur” – “Gaussian” leaving the default values.

Reactivate the level Background” and you're done.

Variant

TheJoe

I keep this blog as a hobby by 2009. I am passionate about graphic, technology, software Open Source. Among my articles will be easy to find music, and some personal thoughts, but I prefer the direct line of the blog mainly to technology. For more information contact me.

6 Comments

Fabio · 28 September 2013 at 11:59 AM

Ok ci sono riuscito 😉 domanda, I imagine that not all views lend themselves to this technique right? 😀

TheJoe · 1 October 2013 at 7:34 AM

Hello Fabio, Welcome on the blog and thanks for the comment.

What move is a good point. It should be a very personal taste, but to get a realistic result is acceptable and there must be something to focus on. In my case it was the facade of the building in front of the yellow square (in the variant – last photo – was the little square with trees), can be anything, but surely there must be a subject or a pseudo-subject.

To give you an example, if you do the same job on a photo of the sea flat calm with clear skies probably not appagherebbe as a picture is much richer detail (like the one I used).

A word of advice? Proof.

Giovanni Mauri · 1 October 2013 at 7:41 AM

Hello Fabio, Welcome on the blog and thanks for the comment.

A word of advice? Proof.

Fabio · 28 September 2013 at 11:38 AM

I can not do, I do not understand how to make the invisible level, I did not come out as you explained nele images step by step when we apply the gradient….

Davideatflìckr · 1 May 2011 at 7:11 PM

The effect and’ very realistic.. Nice tutorial

voucher · 29 April 2011 at 1:55 PM

🙂 bravo joe, you did! I had no doubt now .. try too!!!